On this site:
On other sites:
We plan in due course to document other industries of the harbour area, eg:
The Tar works - there for a long time - at the back, to landward, of the Blue Billy
Brown's Foundry (any link to Geprge Brown, Provost?) - he lived at Ivybank and was known as 'Foundry Brown'.
Walker's Chemical Works on Portland Road, where the pumphouse is today - closed in the early 1950s 'medieval' (Joyce, Irvinite) no health & safety - her father worked there - no masks - furnaces - ICI took it over.
Laird's - closed c. 1948