This composite map shows Irvine harbour in 1895, shown
on Ordnance Survey 25 inch maps in 1896 - reproduced here by
permission of the National Library of Scotland. The sources
on left: the right half of map 82863111 (viewable on the NLS site) and
on right: the left half of map 82863198 (viewable on the NLS site).
The main Glasgow to Ayr line reached Irvine
in 1839, the company being the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr
Railway (GPK&AR). Six years later, in 1845, the Harbour Branch line
(now Harbour Road past the Linthouse building and Jewson's)
was laid to a new Coal Shipping Wharf downstream from the old Quay and
two 'hurries' (chutes for loading coal) were erected suitable for shipping
4-ton wagons. By the time of this map, the whole area was a hive of
Click the map to enlarge it in a new window.
Return to People and Places