www.irvineayrshire.org - the people & places of Irvine, Ayrshire
Irvine Harbour
The River Irvine
The Towns House seen in a brass band reflection
The southern bridge ('Foulerton Arches') by night
The River Irvine with bank-to-bank ice in January 2010

This webname has linked Irvine organisations and history since its launch in 2002. In November 2013, a meeting attended by local organisations, businesses, councillors and officials, proposed that Irvine should work together better, with a website as a gateway to activities and heritage. irvineayrshire.org here suggests a start to the process, and this not-for-profit website is ready to assist, if asked, in realising the hopes expressed at the meeting.

 

(These lists show only a sample of what can be included.)
 

Email: info @ irvineayrshire.org

crest of Irvine Royal BurghIrvine, created a Royal Burgh in 1372 by King Robert II, was a major West of Scotland seaport before the dredging of the Clyde. In the 18th c., it was the largest burgh in Ayrshire (1775: pop. 3000).

Today, Irvine hosts the Scottish Maritime Museum, North Ayrshire Council HQ, and Ardagh (Rockware Glass). The town enjoys a vibrant community spirit (with an active Burns Club, a Rotary Club and Trades Guilds incorporated in 1646), and a week-long Marymass Festival in August. Robert Burns worked here in 1781-82.

Irvine's burgh status ended in 1975 with local government reorganisation. The population of Irvine is about 22,000. See details of the town walking tour. More items are added from time to time.

(This was written ten years ago, and the spirit mentioned here has never really gone away.)

map of Scotland

This site is currently owned and managed by Vindogara Software (aka Ian Dickson).
Vindogara was a settlement in this area in Roman times,
as recorded by the geographer Ptolemy (2nd c. AD)

Our map of Irvine
(currently on the Irvine Burns Club site)

Click here to reach the handy-to-print PDF map


Other towns named Irvine.

The Blaue Atlas, 1654, comments "At the northern boundary, the Irvine, which too has a bridge of four arches, divides it from Cunningham. At the mouth of the River Irvine is positioned the burgh of Irvine with a harbour so enclosed by sandbanks and with so little depth that it can take only smaller ships." [at http://www.nls.uk/digitallibrary/map/early/blaeu/938.html]